Start the warm weather seasons off right by moving your feet and being active! Collect some of your friends and their children and host an Olympics.
You can start by making medals together and then can identify some fun for all activities to get everyone moving! We share some ideas with you below, but feel free to let your and your child’s imaginations run wild and come up with more games.
Make Medals Together!
You will need:
- Gold paint (or yellow markers or construction paper)
- Tape or glue
- Markers (for decorating medals)
- Cut identical circles out of cardboard.
- Paint with gold paint, color with yellow markers, or cut out circles of yellow construction paper to glue to the cardboard circles.
- Once the paint, marker, or glue is dry, your child can decorate the cardboard with markers.
- Using tape or glue, attach the ends of the streamer onto the back of each cardboard circle (make sure the loop is large enough to make it over your child’s head!).
Activities for your own Olympics!
Track and field:
- Use trees in your yard at the start and finish line and sprint!
- Take one or two laps around the house, the block, part of a park or a playground, for long-distance races.
- Attach ribbon to sticks or straws and have them dance around waving the ribbon high and low, both fast and slow.
- Place a laundry basket in the middle of the yard and scatter all the balls you can find across the yard. Whoever finds the most balls and puts them in the basket (one at a time) wins!
This activity has been adapted from No Time for Flashcards.