This week we will focus on developing fine motor skills through messy play. During messy, sensory play, children’s imaginations and five senses are engaged as they use their fingers and hands to explore, discover, and create.
You will need:
1 packet of instant vanilla pudding mix, Milk, Food coloring, Mixing bowls, Paper (durable paper works best)
- Separate the vanilla pudding into multiple bowls.
- Add a couple drops of food coloring to each bowl to create different colors.
- Model the activity for your child by using your fingers or some sort of brush to ‘paint’ the paper. Tip: You can use recycled household items like toilet paper rolls, old toothbrushes, etc. to explore new textures
- Encourage your child to be creative and applaud them on their beautiful creations!
- Talk to your child about the colors. What color is this? What else is green?
- Create new colors together. What happens when we mix blue and red?
- Encourage your child to draw shapes. Can you draw a circle? Can you find other circles in the room?
- Use household items to foster creativity and discussion. Cut up old sponges, use toilet paper rolls, or items from outside, like flowers, as paintbrushes and/or stamps.
- Applaud your child. Wow! What a beautiful painting; I love all of the colors you used! What are you going to paint next?