You will need:
1 empty shoe box, Sandbox Decoration (crayons, markers, stickers, etc.), 4 cups of flour, ½ cup of vegetable oil, ‘Molds’ – cups, bowls, etc., A large mixing bowl
- Allow your child to decorate the sandbox.
- Help your child measure out 4 cups of flour and ½ cup of vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. Tip: count the cups of flour out loud, and discuss the numbers on the measuring cup.
- Knead the concoction by hand for about 5 minutes. The “sand” is ready when it seems evenly mixed, and is powdery, but slightly moldable when pressed together.
- Talk to your child about measuring. What happens if we add a little more flour? What number are we at now? Can you count the cups of flour with me?
- Discuss the texture of the sand. How does the sand feel? What happens when you press it together? What happens if we add some more oil?
- Encourage your child to be creative. What colors are you using to decorate the sandbox? Can you draw a square? What shape are you molding with the sand?
- Draw numbers. Can you draw the number 2 in the sand? How about number 8?
** The ‘sand’ can be packed in an airtight container and used again and again for future play. **