Make Your Own Play Dough
Playing with play dough not only encourages children to be imaginative, but also helps develop fine motor skills. Making your own play dough with your child is also a great way to explore early math skills. Here is PCHP’s play dough recipe!
You will need:
- 1 bowl, 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of water, vegetable oil
- If you would like to double the recipe: 4 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, 2 cups of water
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add water and stir well.
- Knead the dough with your hands for a few minutes.
- Add a small amount of vegetable oil, so the dough stays soft
- You can make small adjustments if the dough is not the right consistency: Add salt for stickiness, water for dryness, and flour if the play dough is too wet.
- If you would like to make different colors, simply add food coloring to the mix.
- This is an opportunity for your child to use their hands and fingers, to see what shapes they can create, to talk about what they are making. Encourage them to participate in the whole process and have fun working together! Enjoy making your play dough creations!
Please click here to download a PDF version of this recipe.