Chinese New Year Dragon Puppet
Everyone can join in celebrating the Chinese New Year with this great Chinese Dragon Puppet! Dragons are a Chinese good luck symbol. The dragon dance is usually performed during Chinese New Year and the longer the dance the more luck it brings to the community. Make a dragon puppet with your child and then dance around your house to bring good luck. While making this dragon puppet, talk with your child about the tradition of the dragon dance in Chinese culture, and discuss some of your family’s traditions as well.
- Wooden or plastic spoon
- Popsicle stick
- Construction paper or craft foam sheets
- Wiggle eyes (optional)
- Paint the spoon (or leave it unpainted) and let it dry.
- Cut a nose and spikes from construction paper or craft foam.
- Glue these to the back of the spoon.
- Stick on two wiggle eyes, or make eyes out of construction paper.
- For the body: cut a length of ribbon, string, or a streamer and lay it flat. Cut shorter lengths of ribbon/string/streamer or construction paper and glue them to the main body hanging down all along the length.
- Stick a construction paper or craft foam triangle onto one end to be the tail.
- When all the glue is dry, stick the tail end of the body to the popsicle stick and the other end to the spoon.
Adapted from Activity Village.